If museums are designed properly, they can be as open and accessible as a public plaza, and as intimate and intellectually spiritual and personal as a single encounter with a work of art. That’s really what we’re going for here in the new building.
PROJECT KEY FACTS
LACMA Building for the Permanent Collection
- New building size: approx. 368,000 sq. ft. replacing approx. 393,000 sq. ft. of existing buildings. Net reduction of approx. 25,000 sq. ft.
- 2.5 acres of new public outdoor space.
- Existing parking spaces on the Spaulding lot will be relocated to a new parking structure on Ogden Drive.
- Seamless integration of new building with the existing park and remaining LACMA buildings.
- Replacement of inefficient, deteriorating buildings with new, environmentally sustainable structures, embracing state-of-the-art resource management and technology.
- West Campus facilities (BCAM, Resnick Pavilion, and Pritzker Parking Garage) and the Pavilion for Japanese Art will remain.
- Construction will begin in the second half of 2018, completed in 2023.
- New Metro Purple Line subway will be directly across from the museum and will be open in 2023.